Friday, October 25, 2013

Not for the Faint of Heart......



Last Saturday we had a HUGE chicken butchering party here at our house...   We had about 200 fowl to butcher, and somewhere around 50 people to help get the job done... so we each did 4 birds and we were done!!!  Ok, that wasn't quite the story, but we did have fun...  
For the record... a lot of these pictures were taken by either Sara Ann or Leah, and some others...  Thanks
 The dirty work down at the chicken shed
 Some of the girls decided they were each going to kill a chicken, so we all went down to witness the circus show.
Joshua, explaining how this is done
oops, it works better when they go in HEAD first :)

see Sara Ann, just like this :)
I wonder what she's chopping, and I bet its not firewood...  

Hows it going Linda? ...  "at least I didn't faint..."  Linda

The plucking station... 
Me and my Helpers... 



 In the garage cutting up chickens... fun fun

Are you Looking for something?


 I just love these pictures of Emily, hard at work...

A true "Before & After" picture... 

 And the Clean up...

"When they all work together, how happy "I" am (because then I don't have to muck out the chicken shed :)

Hard at it... 

 

Just a random photo that I thought was really cool!!!   I'm not sure who took the picture though....but will let you know when I find out... 
The Story of the day... 
In the process of cleaning out the chicken shed, one of the boys had killed a mouse, and promptly brought it up to scare show the group.   After the excitement died down a bit, Josiah gained control of the mouse, and while the girls tried to pose for a picture, he calmly walked around to the back of the group, and gave them a little a closer view of the mouse.. And as you see, they just LOVED it...    


Thank you to everyone that helped, it made for a fun day together...   A butchering day just isn't complete without.........yes, thats right, softball.  And we ended up playing for about 3 hours... fun fun!!!

Thanks for coming again... I'd love to hear from you all!

25 comments:

  1. Ew-Ew-Ew!!!! Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it wasn't that bad was it?... thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
    2. No,it wasn't (even though it kinda pulled me out of my comfort zone! for sure the killing part,but I'm glad i did it!)

      Delete
  2. Hey, some really graphic photos! But seriously, it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun... and really killing/butchering chickens isn't so bad is it? Or, shouldn't I have brought that up?

      Delete
    2. Jordan, I know you are also gifted with a vivid imagination, but I don't care to think of what it would look like to bring things up online. Not sure how that would work.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you all had a great day! Would have been fun helping. Glad I didn't get to see the mouse though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would like to kill a chicken myself someday too :) I noticed you all wore sweaters/long-sleeved....was it really that cold??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,Amy-I think you would be a good one to kill a chicken!!! It was actually kinda.....um....fun!!!

      Delete
    2. Yea Amy, it was pretty chilly (especially in the morning), but that made it all the more "chipper":) And it would have been great having you with us...I think you're probly a bit braver than I am if you'd actually volunteer to kill a chicken. I was NOT the one to come up with the idea & not at all convinced I wanted to participate, but since the other girls did, I just had to!

      Delete
    3. It was what my dad calls "invigorating" :) Sweaters and hoodies felt good, and hot chocolate just hit the spot... Oh, and we'll be sure to let you know that next time we butcher chickens... then you could come and try your hand at killing chickens :) -- Thanks for the comment

      Delete
  5. Why didn't you invite me??? You know how much I love chicken parties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry... I forgot you just LOVED butchering chickens, its probably the same kind of "love" that the girls had for that mouse, if I'm not mistaken :) good to hear from you...

      Delete
    2. Oh Beka, this I want to see! Haha I have to smile at the thought of you butchering a chicken. I personally hope that I can live my life without EVER having to do such a gruesome procedure *shudder* Suddenly I have no appetite for chicken

      Delete
  6. Thanx for posting!! Some of the pics are kinda, um, well you know what I mean, but it really was a fun day!! And could I maybe have a copy sometime of that pic of Emilee?...it's so cute, so her:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, I know what you mean... and I even toned down the color on some of them... so you can thank me :) I'll send you email with that pic as soon as I have some time!! thanks for the comment!!

      Delete
  7. WOW quite graphic but looks like fun! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing, but almost anything is fun with the right people...
      I also wanted to thank you for the link to www.lenspiration.com , he has some amazing photos, oh, and I'd love to take his workshops. Maybe someday, I'll have the time and resources to do that.

      Oh, the other thing, I just found out who you are (that sounds kind of funny). When you first commented, I tried to think of all the Sarah's I knew, but couldn't remember a Sarah Brown. Then just this weekend, another Sarah said you were at the Journey with her. So, now the mystery is solved! Thanks for following and commenting...

      Delete
    2. Also, I'm hoping it works to come out later this year, I'll have to see whats on the calendar...

      Delete
  8. You are quite welcome! I to would also love to take one of the workshops but like you lack the time and resources. Yes, I was on the Journey with Sarah and Ada. Sorry for not clarifying that. Ada told me about your blog and your desperation for comments ;) I would love to meet you all in December so please make it a priority! We have a lot of fun stuff on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll see what I can do... I heard rumors about some exciting things happening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...what messy fun! I love the 12th picture. I can't remember her name, but she's my friend and she's just adorable. Also the last picture is great too. It's funny how one girl is just smiling and posing as if this happens everyday and the other girls are freaking out. The "before and after" photos are just nasty (if u don't mind me saying so). Well, that's all my comments on this post. Though I do have a question...how do you find time to blog so often?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, that's a good question... we'll see how long it takes to get the next one up :)

    ReplyDelete