Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ricketts Glenn Adventure

Hello to all of you blog readers... Welcome back!  

Yes, I am still here, and there are several posts in the making, but one of the major problems I have with blogging is that it takes lot of a little four letter word...  T-I-M-E    But, thankfully, I've got a bit this afternoon, and am finally looking through and editing some of these pictures.  

    Last Saturday, us boys, along with a bunch of friends, went on an exciting adventure to Ricketts Glenn.  Ricketts Glen is a state park in northeastern PA.  It has a hiking trail loop following a creek with 22 (named) waterfalls, the tallest one, Ganoga, is 94 ft high.   And of course, with all of the waterfalls etc. it is a photographers paradise, and especially at this time of the year...
    The hike took 4 - 5 hours, and by the end we were ALL glad to settle in for the three hour drive home.   Here are several pictures...  
Hiking to the trail head

One of our lunch bearers...

Perspective!!!
 To all of you in Mexico, I know this isn't near as high as the one we went to, but at leasts its only 3 HOURS drive away and not 3 DAYS drive from where I live :)

I had blast experimenting with waterfall pictures... I didn't have a tripod, so I used rocks, or whatever else was available... I think this was taken at 1" shutter speed...for those of you that care :)

I love this picture, all except for that lovely purple dot in the middle... anyone know what it is, or what I should've done to fix it, or better yet, keep it from happening at all.


Yes, we are using the hats... Reynold, do we get an kickback for advertising here in the states?

yours truly... 
this is picture is part of Project Blue Hat... we are currently looking for more volunteers, so if you are interested, or have any questions... feel free to let me know (comments work really well :) hint hint

oh, yea...and we saw one of THESE things....
The Story:
     Several of us were hiking up the creek bed, and Josiah's standing there watching us, and all of sudden he says to Althea, rather calmly, "There's a snake behind you".  Of course, my first thought is, he's just trying to scare her.  But, I look up at him, and right away I knew he was wasn't teasing...my next plan of action is... FIND THE SNAKE, so I can run in the right(away) direction!!! (I hate snakes, just in case you didn't know).  But it was just a little (2 or 3 ft. long) one, and didn't look very dangerous, so I decided, instead of running, I'll just take some pictures.  I mean, why else am I carrying this camera all over the place :)  Unfortunately I didn't have my telephoto lens, so I couldn't get a really close up... The people on the opposite bank were saying it was a Rattlesnake, but I was pretty sure from my view (2 ft away), that it wasn't anything to dangerous, at least I hoped it wasn't


 I was also taking portraits for some of them... (for fun, and for practice)    remember, just $5.00 per picture
"Beka"

 "Daniel"
Ezra doing some more Advertising...  

Josiah telling "Herman" stories :)



The Crew...  
On the way home we were having a "battle" or rather a discussion about where to stop for some food. Van#1 want to stop at Sheetz for Pumpkin Pie Latte's and Burritos, and Van#2 just NEEDED to stop at Pizza Hut... And because we couldn't agree, we decided to shutdown the whole trip... oh, thats not based on a true story (not really anyway)... Instead, Van#1 went to Sheetz's and Van#2 went to (drum roll please)....Subway, yes, that's right...Subway... imagine eating a sub instead of drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte! 

To all of you Van#2 people, feel free to post your defense in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!!  
   Anyway, we had an awesome trip!  Thanks to Beka and Ada for getting it together.  
It was a blast being out in God's beautiful creation, and enjoying this best of all seasons! 

Please send me an email if you need help figuring out how to comment...  :)


21 comments:

  1. Dad says that as soon as you start selling stuff you'll get your first paycheck:) I'd say he's pretty wise...after all, you got the hats for free! And what...are you trying to sell that blue hat? I volunteer on certain conditions. And although I've learned to like the smell of coffee, I too would prefer a sub. Sorry to whoever disagrees:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you again... Actually, what we are doing is taking pictures of the blue hat in various different locations, and functions... so, you'll have come up here to participate! :) thanks for commenting!!!

      Delete
  2. wow these pictures are amazing! Don't forget to drop box them for me.. you may send the bill to Timbuktu, since I'm sure it'll be rather large! heh :) And yes we did go to Subway, but you know, Subway has pizza too! Besides we beat you home by 20 minutes! That's a substantial amount of time don't you think? I do concede that you must have had a fun time at Sheetz since Isaac said he highly enjoyed himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't forget about your pictures... I have them here, and will try to get them to you before to many years :) thanks for commenting!!!

      Delete
    2. By the way, I've been wondering for the last few weeks... What are Herman stories?

      Delete
    3. maybe you should just ask Josiah to tell you one sometime... you just might like it :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a great post!! And the waterfall pictures are really pretty. It was a very fun day. However, you left out part of the van story. As I recall, van 1 wanted to get home ASAP! So van 2 did it's very best to arrive home quickly (forfeiting their beloved pizza), only to have to wait 20 minutes for van 1. But despite our loss, we enjoyed our subs, ice cream, and the fact that we beat you home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great pictures!! I especially love the waterfall ones.
      Now, Ada and Sarah, sure you beat us home, but as Jordan pointed out, you missed out on Pumpkin Spice Lattes and White Chocolate Raspberry Lattes. 20 minutes was definitely worth it.
      ~Althea

      Delete
    2. Great post! I especially love the waterfall pictures!
      Now, Ada and Sarah, sure you beat us home....but, as Jordan pointed out, you missed out on Pumpkin Spice Lattes and White Chocolate Raspberry Lattes. 20 minutes was definitely worth it.

      Delete
    3. ....you can't forget that pumpkin pie latte... that was really important!!! definitely worth the 20 mins!!! And really, 20 min is way better then the hour that it would've taken at pizza hut! Anyway, thanks for commenting!!!

      Delete
  4. Way to go on the photoraphy!! Looks like you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yea, we had a blast!!! thanks for the comment~

      Delete
  5. I am sorry but if I were there I would pick subway :) Although the latte sounds yummy after a long day of hiking you can't go wrong with a good o'le sub sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I must agree, that at times a "good o'le sub" would be the best option... but I believe that I have missed part of the story!!! You see, we also had Isaac along. Now, not only does he like burritos, he is also very generous, and he supplied Van#1 with a smorgasbord, all at the cost $0.00 to qualifying participants (aka, those in Van#1) Thanks Isaac!!! --- Now who wouldn't take a Pumpkin Pie latte w/ Free food over a plain o'le sub? ~thanks for the comment Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if the food was free..........that's a different story ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! I like the pictures of the waterfall.Nature and scenery are so much fun to capture!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jordan, if you like photography I would highly recommend http://www.lenspiration.com/ It is the online portfolio of a Christian Creation photographer who really has a heart for the Lord and capturing His beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, I know this is terribly late but I had to get my word in here yet!! I would like to tell the story from van #2's perspective!!! Please, those of you in van #1, don't be offended, I just want everyone to have clear picture of both sides of the story!
    What van #2 got, from the before mentioned conversation, was that the folks in van #1 wanted to get home ASAP, and I mean ASAP, as ASAP with as little time wasted as possible ASAP, like ASAP. Get my point??? Ok, so when we (van #2), decided to go to Subway we just assumed that we had to hurry if we didn't want to fall behind! So, we had this all figured out that we would pair off and order 4 - 12" subs and therefore speed up the ordering process! It all worked out perfectly!! We pulled into subway and everyone was out of the van, some went to the restrooms while several others went directly to the subway ordering line!! In approx. 7 min, from the time we pulled in, we were pulling out!! About 15 min. down the road we find out that van #1 was just pulling out of sheetz!! So, van #2 decided to have an ice cream party at the Wimer's, which was our designated rendezvous, before van #1 gets there. So, we stopped at a Turkey Hill to fill up with gas, and get the ice cream!!! Once at the rendezvous, and after much discussion, we hid behind truck and ate ice cream till van #1 pulled in!! It was all fun!! So, to you all in van #1, you forgot about the ice cream that we in van #1 got that night yet!! I know some of you will say that a pumpkin spice latte was still better, but I think that we ended up even with you all. (If we ever were behind)!! :)
    P.S. We did decide that Pizza Hut would take to long!

    SO, now that you both sides of the story, it would be interesting the hear (or read) what you have to say about it!!
    till next time..............cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for explaining Van #2's side of the story! That was the best defense yet. The poor people in Van #1 sure missed out on the ice cream party! Plus we get to crow over them, since we beat them home

      Delete