Wednesday, October 22, 2014

October Photo Challenge Day 15||#8-Mums

An Unconventional Look at Mums

"#8-Mums" 
"#8-Mums" - option #2
Tuesday afternoon, I got this "brilliant" idea, of taking a picture of mums in the dark.  So, after bible study, I went home, and took the pot of mums into the front yard, and set my camera on my tripod, and started shooting away.  
It took a lot longer to get these shots then most of the shoots I do, because every picture took between 3 and 20 seconds to take.  (Instead of 1/1000 of a second).  At first I tried with just using the little bit of light coming from the house, but it just didn't work very well.  So, I tried using the flashlight on my phone, and that worked better, but the pictures didn't look much different from any other picture I could take in daylight.     Now, you have to remember that I love using backlighting, especially for portraits.  And the thought crossed my mind, how could I get backlighting for the mum? Of course, the sun was gone for the day (I mean, it was 10:30 pm)... but I was still holding my phone with the flashlight on... then the lightbulb went on!  Why not put the phone inside the mum...yes, really, a brilliant idea.  And so thats how I got these pictures...and iPhone flashlight inside the mum with about a 3 second shutter.  (for those of you that know what that means :)
(The next two pictures are before and after I edited them)
"After I edited the picture"
"Before I edited the picture" - Straight from the Camera
And just in case your wondering, that is a slug on the mum, I didn't see it at all until I was done taking the pictures, and started editing them...and since its there, and I can't really change it, it does kind of add to the picture! Don't you think?      Thanks for coming by, and hope you enjoyed hearing about my adventure in night photography!   Come back soon  ~ Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment